Tate is a museum in London that is considered one of the most visited in the world. These museums have an impressive collection of British art from 1900 to 2014 and some international collections.
The actual director of the Tate Modern is Chris Dercon and is located in Bankside, London. If you ever decide to visit London, check these impressive museums with several galleries to visit.
Sir Henry Tate is who inspired the creation of the first of four galleries that compose this museum. That’s right, four galleries to visit with so much history on it that you are not going to leave quick.
The four galleries are:
Previously known as the National Gallery of British Art, was established in 1987. In 1932, the gallery changed its name to “Tate Gallery” and in 2000 was finally names “Tate Britain”. This one is located in Millbank, London.
It is the second established in 1988. This one is located in Albert Dock, Liverpool, England and the director Is Francesco Maraconda.
Tate St Ives
It is located in a small Cornish town on the southwest coast. This one was established in 1993 and the illumination characteristics make this museum a must visit place.
It is the more recent. This one was established in 2000 and is a modern art gallery located in Bankside, London.
British Museum is the name of one of the most visited museums in the world. This place is located in Great Russell Street in London, United Kingdom, and it was established 261 years ago in 1753. This museum is dedicated to human history and culture so if you ever decide to visit London, enter this museum and watch one of the largest collections of art in the world. This museum also presents exhibitions and tours for you to really enjoy the visit.
Sir Hans Sloane (1660 – 1753) was a British physician, naturalist and collector that died on January, 1953. Over his lifetime, he collected more than 71,000 invaluable objects that he wanted to preserve so he bequeathed this collection to King George II. The King accepted this gift and through an Act of Parliament, the British Museum was established in 1753. The museum finally opened in 1759. With the past of the years, this museum has been expanded several times.
“Ancient Lives, New Discoveries” is the name of one of the exhibitions that is open right now and it will be open until November, 30th. In the official website of the museum, you can check the prices and make reservations for the events. The British Museum is open from 10:00 to 17:30 and during Fridays; the closing time is extended to 20:30 and the entry is free.
Museums are the most visited attraction by tourist and residents. In the United Kingdom a variety of exhibitions and amazing collected treasures are available for be appreciated by the public call the attention of those interesting of enjoy the history of the world through the art, sculptures, photography, old documents and some other object showed in this institutions.
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Glasgow
London, as the capital of the United Kingdom, offers in its major museums a great among of different options and hundreds of exhibitions for the public interested. Some of those London Museums are listed, as well, in the top 20 museums of the UK:
- National Football Museum, Manchester
- Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Glasgow
- National Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Monkwearmouth Station Museum, Sunderland
- V&A Museum of Childhood, London
- Big Pit National Coal Museum, Torfaen
- St Fagans National History Museum, Cardiff
- Coventry Transport Museum
- Royal Armouries, Leeds
- Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Wakefield
- World Museum Liverpool
- Pitt Rivers Museum, Oxford
- Nottingham Contemporary
- North Lincolnshire Museum, Scunthorpe
- Mansfield Museum, Nottinghamshire
- Haslemere Educational Museum, Surrey
- Falmouth Art Gallery, Cornwall
- Weston Park Museum, Sheffield
- The Herbert Art Gallery and Museum, Coventry
- Blaise Castle House Museum, Bristol
Best Exhibitions on British Museum
British museums host around 8 million objects in its collection that tells the history of the humanity from the earliest beginnings registered.Egyptian priests, Parthenon on the Acropolis in Greece, collection of mummies, are some of the greatest treasures exhibited in the British museums.
- The Rosetta Stone
- The Sutton Hoo Ship Burial Helmet
- The Lewis Chessmen
- The Elgin Marbles
- Colossal Granite Head of Amenhotep III
- Hoa Hakananai’a – The Easter Island Statue
- Aztec Double-Headed Serpent
- The Vindolanda Tablets
- The Cat Mummies
- The Portland Vase
Tourist schedules always include visiting museums. Some people believe that if someone goes to visit a city any where on the world and really want it to get to know it, is mandatory to go visit at least the more recognized museums.
México, with over 150 museums, and Paris are the cities with more museums of the world. Cities like London have six of the top 20 museums more visited. Washington DC and Paris are the next most cultural cities because there is where the number of world-renowned museums are. Also, London and Paris are the cities with the UNESCO World Heritage Sites highest number, with 4 each one.
Louvre in Paris
National Museum of Natural History
- The Cairo (Egypt),
- New You (USA),
- Berlin (Germany) and
- Rome (Italy) among other cities, have as well a big number of greatest museums on the world.
Museums are a typical stop in every trip. If you are traveling around the world, you should not miss the Top 14 Best Museums in the world:
- Louvre in Paris, France
- Egyptian Museum in Cairo, Egipt
- Vatican City in Rome, Italy
- Metropolitan Museum of Art in New Your City, USA
- British Museum in London, England
- Uffizi Gallery in Florence, Italy
- Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg, Russia
- Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York City, USA
- Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain
- National Palace Museum in Taipei, China
- National Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City, Mexico
- Prado Museum in Madrid, Spain
- Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, Netherland
- Tokyo National Museum, Japan
Mayfair in central London is mainly a commercial area where you find the most fashion boutiques like Prada, Burberry or Yves St. Laurent and high-powered American art galleries like Gagosian or David Zwirner. These American art dealers are willing to pay big dollars just to be located in Mayfair.
Lately, real estate developers are very busy trying to find new gallery spaces in the area which shows how the market is moving and how demanded is to be in Mayfair. It is not only to find a space to locate a gallery but to find top artists to sell their works.
Those artists demand dealers with global reach and London can fulfill their requirements with Mayfair as its epicenter. In Mayfair you find Sotheby´s, Christie´s or Claridges all auction houses which corroborates that Mayfair is where all is happening.